Found on the busy streets of old Alicante is a gigantic Cistercian Gothic church, seat to the Diocese of Orihuela-Alicante. This strikingly beautiful church, called 'Concatedral de San Nicolás' was built between 1613-1662 and is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. On 9th March 1959, Pope John XXIII elevated the church to the status of a cathedral.
The simplistic architecture of the church, constructed atop an ancient mosque, had been designed by Agustín Bernardino. It is based on the Latin cross plan, which was the usual traditional plan used by Gothic medieval churches. The church is considered to be one of the finest examples of Spanish baroque architecture, especially the chapel of Holy Communion. A few other wonders of the church, include Retablo de las Animas (Nicolás Borrás, 1574), the Cristo de la Buena Muerte (Nicolás de Bussi, s. XVII) and a canopy of Italian marble and jasper dated 1688.